Department of Commercial and Maritime Law
NCU Prof. dr hab. Anna Moszyńska, the Head of the Department of Commercial and Maritime Law, attorney at law with many years of experience not only in providing legal services to entrepreneurs (since 2003) but also in working in their bodies, including: member of supervisory boards of commercial companies, representative of the Minister of the Treasury (6 years); member of the audit committee of the association, vice president of the foundation`s board. A member of the Council of Experts of the Institute of Economic Research since 2014. Author of numerous publications on the evolution of civil and commercial law institutions and codification of law.
Full academic profiles of NCU Prof. dr hab. Anna Moszyńska are available at:
Google Schoolar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=pl&user=b-PyGm0AAAAJ;
Dr Aleksandra Sikorska-Lewandowska, adjunct at the Department of Commercial and Maritime Law, attorney at law. A graduate of the Faculty of Law at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, a graduate of the Postgraduate Studies in Commercial Law and European Studies at the European Center for Special Studies. In 2013, Aleksandra Sikorska-Lewandowska obtained the title of doctor of legal sciences on the basis of the dissertation entitled „Sankcje wadliwych uchwał rad nadzorczych spółek kapitałowych i spółdzielni (Sanctions of defective resolutions of supervisory boards of capital companies and cooperatives)”.
Full academic profiles of Dr Aleksandra Sikorska-Lewandowska are available at:
Google Schoolar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=pl&user=08bqUtMAAAAJ.
Dr Zuzanna Pepłowska-Dąbrowska, assistant professor at Department of Commercial and Maritime Law. Since 2015 she has been a member of the Polish Codification Commission for Maritime Law. She is vice-president of the Polish Maritime Law Association, a member of the board of the Maritime Law Commission of the Polish Academy of Science and an arbitrator in maritime disputes. In 2017 she was awarded a grant by the Polish National Science Center for research dedicated to the problems of contemporary maritime codes. She has conducted her research in numerous maritime law centers, including Tulane University Law School (as a Fulbright grantee), the Scandinavian Institute of Maritime Law, and the University of Southampton Institute of Maritime Law.
Full academic profiles of Dr Zuzanna Pepłowska-Dąbrowska are available at:
Dr Katarzyna Ludwichowska-Redo, assistant professor at the NCU since 2008 (currently on extended leave), Senior Scientist at the Institute for European Tort Law (ETL) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and the University of Graz (Vienna) since March 2016, Fellow of the European Centre of Tort and Insurance Law (Vienna) since 2012 and attorney-at-law. Katarzyna specialises in tort law, insurance law and the conflict of laws, and has published extensively in these fields. She has lectured at, i.a., the National University of Singapore, the Academy of European Law (Trier), the International Forum of Travel and Tourism Advocates (Vienna) and the European Centre of Tort and Insurance Law/Institute for European Tort Law (Vienna) as well as presented at numerous private law conferences and training courses for law and insurance practitioners in Poland and abroad. In 2009 she was awarded “Insurance debut” prize by the Polish Insurance and Risk Management Chamber of Commerce, and in 2008 her doctoral thesis: “Liability for Car Accidents in Tort and Insurance Law” was awarded first prize as well as a special prize funded by the Polish Motor Insurers’ Bureau in a nationwide contest organised by the Polish Insurance Ombudsman.
Dr (PhD) candidate Mariusz Tomasz Kłoda, assistant professor at the Department of Commercial and Maritime Law. A graduate of Law, Administration and Postgraduate Studies in the Field of Banking and Banking Law and attorney at law training organised by Okręgowa Izba Radców Prawnych w Toruniu (Toruń Bar Association of Attorneys-at-Law). A graduate of the Leszek Balcerowicz School. Representative of Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń at Technical Committee 333 for Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies (Polish Committee for Standardization). This Committee is the leading committee for cooperation with ISO/TC 307 Blockchain and distributed ledger technologies and CEN-CLC/JTC 19 Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies. Member of the Task Force for Polish Space Law (Centre of Space Studies at Kozminski University), member of the Audit Committee of the Polish Space Professionals Association and member of the Space Generation Advisory Council.
Full academic profiles of Dr candidate Mariusz Tomasz Kłoda are available at:
Google Schoolar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=9_syDP8AAAAJ&hl=pl&oi=ao;
Scientific research and projects
Employees of the Department of Commercial and Maritime Law conduct research in the following areas of research:
1. Commercial companies law;
2. Contractual system of trade;
3. Capital markets law;
4. Blockchain Law;
5. Housing law;
6. Maritime law (liability issues, recent codifications of maritime law).
As part of conducted research, the employees of the Department of Commercial and Maritime Law organize regular scientific conferences – including “Toruń Meetings with Commercial Law” and “Digital currencies – definition and regulatory problems”. The Department of Commercial and Maritime Law also hosts the Scientific Circle for Commercial Law operates at the, whose supervisor is PhD Aleksandra Sikorska – Lewandowska.
Most important publications
– A. Moszyńska, Geneza prawa spadkowego w polskim kodeksie cywilnym z 1964 roku, Toruń 2019, https://wydawnictwo.umk.pl/pl/products/4841/geneza-prawa-spadkowego-w-polskim-kodeksie-cywilnym-z-1964-roku, language: Polish;
– A. Moszyńska (Falkowska), Odpowiedzialność sprzedawcy z tytułu rękojmi za wady fizyczne rzeczy, Warszawa 2010, language: Polish;
– A. Sikorska-Lewandowska, Sankcje wadliwych uchwał rad nadzorczych spółek kapitałowych i spółdzielni (Sanctions of defective resolutions of supervisory boards of capital companies and cooperatives), Toruń 2013, language: Polish;
– A. Sikorska-Lewandowska, Uchwały właścicieli lokali. Studium prawne, Warszawa 2017, language: Polish;
– A. Sikorska-Lewandowska, The housing community in Polish law. Methods of management of communal areas, Studia Iuridica Toruniensia 2017, t. XX, language: English;
– Z. Pepłowska-Dąbrowska (together with J. Nawrot, UG), (ed.) „Codification of maritime law: challenges, possibilities and experience”, Informa Law from Routledge, Abingdon, Oxon 2020, pp. 263, https://www.routledge.com/Codification-of-Maritime-Law-Challenges-Possibilities-and-Experience/Peplowska-Dabrowska-Nawrot/p/book/9780367343613, language: English;
– Z. Pepłowska-Dąbrowska, (together with J. Nawrot, UG), “Maritime legislation in Poland and the proposals of the Codification Commission for Maritime Law”, 2017 Journal of International Maritime Law Vol. 23 no 3, pp. 220-227, language: English;
– Z. Pepłowska-Dąbrowska, M. Dragun-Gertner (prof. em. UMK), J. Krzemiński (phD in the Department), “The Cape Town Convention and Polish Law on Security Interests” in S. Kozuka (ed.) Implementing the Cape Town Convention and the Domestic Laws on Secured Transactions, Springer 2017, pp. 281-290, language: English.
Most important scientific projects
– A. Moszyńska, (participant) scientific project entitled „Kaufrecht in Mitteleuropa” – the sales regulations of the German General Commercial Code (ADHGB), their reception and further evolution in Central European countries;
– A. Moszyńska, (co-investigator) scientific project entitled “Rezeption der Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (GmbH)“ – development of the German model of a limited liability company in European countries;
– Z. Pepłowska-Dąbrowska, Problems of Contemporary Maritime Codes, National Science Center, Poland, contract no UMO-2016/22/E/HS5/00050 (see here for more details);
– M. T. Kłoda, scientific project entitled „Rules on the representation of the Polish Space Agency in the period after the dismissal of its president”, grant for early-stage researchers.